Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Monday Night Football & Tuesday Night Volleyball

It might not be the Monday night football game most people watched but it was still football and the Saints still won the game. Though, these Saints are far from New Orleans. In the town of Marion, Iowa, which is next to Cedar Rapids, the Xavier High School football team (known as the Saints) defeated the Linn-Mar Lions in a playoff game. It was very odd to be shooting high school football on a Monday night. I had to keep telling myself it was Monday and not Friday.

The game was a bit of a blow out (41-3) and there was not a ton of reaction from the winning team. I also was on the lookout for dejection from the losing team. For high school football I always produce a slideshow and video from the game. Immediately after the game was over I was shooting video of post game interviews on the field when I noticed one of the players from the Linn-Mar team kneeling on the 50 yard line. I had most of the video I needed, so I immediately grabbed my still camera and after fumbling with lenses (I had my wide angle on and really needed the 300 for this shot) I captured the image below.








Linn-Mar's Jody Henton (6) is comforted on the field following the Lion's 41-3 loss to Cedar Rapids Xavier at Armstrong Field in Marion on Monday, November 2, 2009. 
   (Crystal LoGiudice/The Gazette)



  








Cedar Rapids Xavier cheerleaders celebrate after a touchdown against the Linn-Mar Lions.
(Crystal LoGiudice/The Gazette)




Linn-Mar fans watch the game from under the stands during the second half. 
(Crystal LoGiudice/The Gazette)



Tuesday night was another playoff game though this time it was volleyball and Linn-Mar won the game. I always enjoy shooting volleyball and this time of year always makes for good photos since there is usually a lot of emotion from both teams. It was a close match the entire time and went all the way to a fifth game with the teams matching each other point for point. I think I probably get as nervous as the players, fans and coaches sometimes anticipating what will happen. I moved around a ton in the last game trying to figure out which angle would give me the best reaction. I had my zoom ready for the instant reaction and then the wide angle for the close up celebration shots. The following shots are some of my favorite reaction/celebration shots.














  
















The Linn-Mar volleyball team celebrates their victory over City High on Tuesday, November 3, 2009 to advance to the state volleyball tournament. (Crystal LoGiudice/The Gazette)

I had an early deadline and had about 15 minutes to get the photo above in after shooting it. I had my laptop set up at the scoring table next to the court and immediately edited and captioned the photo after most of the initial celebration was over and while parents were taking pictures with the girls. I can always feel eyes on me and as I was cropping the photo I turned around to find several parents watching me edit. I just smiled and went back to work, It was a very odd feeling though.

























1 comment:

  1. The first images is absolutely stunning. I feel bad for that kid. And I think it's funny that you also shot Monday night football last week because that's what I did. Monday night HIGH SCHOOL football, to be exact.

    And the volleyball jube shots are fantastic, as well. I love shooting that sport, as well, and it makes me sad because there aren't too many teams around here.

    ReplyDelete